Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pregnant with low progesterone and taking supplements?




chipskup


I just got a + HPT this past Monday. This is my 9th pregnancy , hopefully my 7th child. I was completely unaware that I could even be pregnant so I have no idea how far a long I am. I've only had 2 periods since my son was born, the last one being 6/19/08.

I am nursing my 8 1/2 month old so I specifically requested a progetserone level check as I'd heard that nursing can sometimes cause low progesterone.

My levels came back at a 5.2 which they said was on the low end of normal. Everything I've read indicates that this is WAY low...and not even in the normal range for pregnancy at all. My HCG was good though, they said at 7724.

They put me on prometrium 200mg to be taken orally once a day.

I wondered if anyone had any experience/success stories to share. I had a m/c back in 2006 and it was just devestating for us as a family. I know every pg has a 50% chance of m/c, but...

My Dr. assured me that this pg is in no way doomed...that the P supplements ar just to give me a boost and there's nothing I could do or not do at this point to effect the outcome.
Thanks for any advice.
also I heard that P levels can fluctuate throughout the day and that sometimes eating a big meal can cause them to be low which I may have done before my blood work...I really don't remember how long ago it'd been since I'd eaten.



Answer
I was put on prometruim when I found out I was pregnant back in June. I just went off of them 2 weeks ago. Everything in my pregnancy is going well so far. I do have a cyst on my ovary but I am pretty sure that is unrelated to the progesterone.My initial levels were 13. Within a week and a half they had shot up to 24. My doctor put me on vaginal suppositories though. He said that they are supposed to work much better and much quicker then the oral medication. And I was taking 3 200 mg suppositories a day. All doctors are different but 200 mg orally once a day seems so little compared to what I was taking and your levels were much lower than mine. I should also say that I hated the vaginal suppositories. They were messy and uncomfortable. I asked many times to switch to the oral and the doctors told me it was to risky. I ended up not taking the suppositories as well as I should have by the end of the first trimester because I hated them so much, but they did do their job. Well that is my experience with the low progesterone. I should also mention that I had a miscarriage a few months before this pregnancy so that is why they even tested my progesterone.

Organic food & supplements while pregnant?




Another ba


Just wondering if anyone is eating organic and/or taking any organic/natural supplements while pregnant. I just found out I am pregnant with my 2nd and would like to continue eating organic & taking supplements throughout my pregnany. Not sure what are good and bad supplements to take? Also, what are more natural prenatal vitamins...I don't want to take Materna. And what are some good foods to eat in early pregnancy...I'm only 2 weeks.

Thanks all!



Answer
organic food should be great and would be healthy. The supplements you should talk to your OBGYN about them or your midwife if you are going that route. They should have an acceptable list. I know some are safe and others aren't. The #1 thing the Dr stressed to me early in pregnancy is lots and lots of folic acid so find foods that are high in folic acid and eat a lot of that. Also vitamin C containing foods would be a great idea. I know most Dr's don't advise against it but after my experiences I would recommend avoiding large amounts of peanuts and peanutbutter during pregnancy.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Pregnant with low progesterone and taking supplements?
Rating: 95% based on 95 ratings. 4.8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks To Visiting My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment