Saturday, April 19, 2014

Baby congestion, is it normal?




Firefly


My son is now almost 7 weeks and since he was born he has had plenty of congestion. I keep hearing/reading that it is normal for newborns to have that, but it really worries me sometimes. I have taken him to the doctor many times because it scares me sometimes. His nose seems so dry and sometimes it seems like no air is going in. When he sleeps sometimes it seems like he is trying to breath and gasps for air, then after a few seconds he can breath again. I tell this to the doctors but they all say it is normal and he shows no signs of distress. Of course he isn't doing it while I am at the doctors, and it may just be newborn congestion but it still just worries me, expecially with SID's being talked about so often. I use saline and have just read about using breastmilk and have yet to try that. We bought a humidifier to help with the dryness, but he is still congested and having funky breathing. My question is was your newborn like this or do you know anybody's that was? How long did it last for you? What other things did you try to help with your babies nose? I may just be a paranoid mom, but I just want my baby to be able to breath easy. It worries me when he struggles and nothing goes in. It's only for a few seconds, but my heart sinks each time. I know I am probably driving the doctors crazy ( I have gone to two different doctor ) but I just want to make sure. He is a healthy baby, just lots of congestion and funky/troubles breathing. Just hoping to hear some stories of similar newborn congestion and find out when it went away or how you helped your baby breath better.


Answer
Hiya

My son was like this,he was a c section baby and had a lot of mucus the doctor said.To me it sounded like wheezing but his actual chest was clear and the noise was coming from his throat ..bottom line he sounded awful but his oxygen levels were perfect and his chest was clear .
I was forever taking him to the doc's too.
My doctor said this could last up to 6months of age ..thankfully it didnt !
When my son sounded 'bunged'' up i got some vic's vapour rub put a blob of it in a bowl of boiling water and left it on the window ledge AWAY from his cot so the room smelt of vic's which helps...
I also put a blanket rolled up UNDER the cot matress/moses basket so it was slightly tilted so he was laying flat on his back.
Its a massive worry the same as all mums..he was my 4th baby yet i was and still am forever checking him !!!Just a mum thing i guess

CONGRATULATIONS !!!! and good luck


xxxx

Loud noises on baby monitor? Coughs?




dreamer


Tonight, after I put my baby to bed, I heard a loud noise on the monitor. It sounded like something heavy had fallen and hit the ground. I checked on my baby and she was fussing a little and her pacifier had fallen out, so I put it back. A few minutes later, the same thing happened again, and then again one more time. I thought that maybe the sound might be a cough or sneeze, so I sat in my babies room to see what she was doing. She had a few dry coughs right before she started crying and a few snorts too. No sneezing and the cough didn't sound like the video cough of croup (although I'm a new mom and it's hard to tell). I cleaned out her nose but it's still happening. It all seems to go away when she is held upright, but I need to sleep too so I can't do this all night. What might be going on?
I forgot to mention that the coughs/snorts I'm hearing do not sound as loud as the sounds on the monitor so I don't even know if that is what is making the sounds.



Answer
seems like the runny nose is just trickling down her nose iritating the back of her throat causing her to make the noises

find 2 books the same size and put them under the head of her bed to keep her head elevated this will help it drain a little better and hopefully give her some comfort you can also put some euaky bear rub on her feet to clear her nose up




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Baby congestion, is it normal?
Rating: 95% based on 95 ratings. 4.8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks To Visiting My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment