Sunday, January 5, 2014

How and when to add flavor to baby food?

making baby food 7 months on Making your own picnic food means that you can be more certain where ...
making baby food 7 months image



talk nerdy


I went to feed my 7 month old breakfast this morning and realized I bought cinnamon applesauce instead of plain. I gave to her and she LOVED it. Ive never seen her enjoy a meal quite so much.
We usually make all our own baby food so I'm wondering how and when to add spices and flavoring to her food? Id love to see her eat more things with this much enthusiasm!



Answer
Any time. There is no reason infants can't eat seasonings. (You wouldn't want to give her habenero chili, and go easy on salt and sugar; but herbs and seasonings are great.)

Any tips on making baby food?




Jackson's


I recently started to make baby food for my son who is 7 months old. He LOVED the peaches I pureed with formula but I attempted to make some out of frozen peas and formula and he HATES them. Before I stock up on more produce to make babyfood...does anyone have any suggestions for making some different kinds of healthy babyfood...like what ingredients? Or any other suggestions on making it more appealing to a hungry baby??!? Thanks :)


Answer
both peas and beans are hard to get very smooth because of the skins. YOu can try seiving them out, but for those you might want to just stick to jars.

Watery fruits are very easy to make - pears, apples (cook first), plums, mango, etc all puree pretty well. Pears and apples will brown as you store them, but it doesn't mean the food is going bad, its still find to eat.

Sweet potato also purees or mashes very nicely. Carrots I had to add quite a bit of water too, but got smooth in the end. The only meat I did was chicken, and I boiled it, then added quite a bit of water (not the cooking water since it makes the taste too strong) to make it smooth.

Bananas and avocado can both just be mashed with a fork - they don't freeze well but are very easy to make at mealtime.

You can also buy some adult foods for baby - canned pumpkin from the baking aisle, or unsweetened adult applesauce. handy for shortcuts.

What I tend to do is only make single ingredient purees, freeze them in ice cube trays, and then combine a couple of cubes to make mixed flavors. Like sweet potato-apple, chicken-peach, or pear-almost anything.

At 7 months your son is able to start having whole-milk plain yogurt, as long as there is no dairy allergies in your family.. I found yogurt a fantastic food to mix other things with - chunks of fruit, blueberries/cherry pieces, even meat or veggie purees. Since the yogurt is smooth, a baby is able to handle a fairly chunky puree mixed in - I have even done peas and yogurt to get her to accept the chunky peas.

Its also ok to introduce herbs and spices at this age; just treat them like a new food. Pumpking pie spice or cinnamon is an excellent topping for many fruits, and mint or basil is great on veggies.

A good website for finding tips on making food is:
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How and when to add flavor to baby food?
Rating: 95% based on 95 ratings. 4.8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks To Visiting My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment