Thursday, May 15, 2014

Any music suggestions?




FP


I'm completely sick of today's club banging music. It seems like most music today is just made to be played in clubs. I need some help finding new artists, because it's getting harder and harder to find GOOD music these days. My favorite genres of music are r&b/soul and hip-hop. I love old school music, and I like to listen to artists like Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, and Donny Hathaway. I also love music from the 90's and early 00's. I love listening to artists like Lauryn Hill, Aaliyah, Alicia Keys, John Legend, Common, 2Pac, Nas, Biggie, Slum Village, and others. More recently I've discovered the music of Allen Stone, Ayomari & Tiron, and Elle Varner. I love these artists because even though they're contemporary artists, they still have an old school vibe, and they're music doesn't suck. So basically I'm more into old school music than today's crap. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not a big fan of artists like Maroon 5. Some of there old stuff was good, but now they're all pop and not enough soul. Not that I don't like pop, just not today's pop, anyway.
I love Michael Jackson, but I'm looking for new artists. Stuff I haven't heard before. But definitely, suggestions for artists like him that are able to make good pop music, that is still soulful.



Answer
Check out http://concreteloop.com/category/music & http://indiernb.tumblr.com

But I do like:

Elle Varner's CD
Frank Ocean's Channel Orange
Dwele's new CD
Tamia: Beautiful Surprise
Tweet: Proceed
Timontha James: Talking to myself
Timothy Bloom: Til The End of Time
Luke James: I want you
Monica: Without You
Vivian Green: Anything out there
Antoninee Dunn: Can't Forget
Emily King: Georgia, Down
KING: Supernatural Love, Hey, The Story (I ABSOLUTELY Love Hey)
Quadron: Day, Baby Be Mine
Marcus Canty: Won't Make A Fool out of me
Ravaugh Brown: Same ol' BS
Carolina Chocolate Drops: Knockin'
Bridget Kelly: Every Girl, White lies
Marsha Ambrosius: Late nights & early mornings, with you
Andreya Triana: Darker Than Blue
Quadron: Day
Lianne La Havas: Lost & Found
Gina Loring: Feeling Good, Color of our Love, What Happened to my love
Homecut & Corinne Bailey Rae: I Don't Even Know
Corinne Bailey Rae: Are You here, I would like to call it beauty, I'm losing you, I only have eyes for you
is this love, Young & Foolish
Jhene Aiko: Higher, Space Jam, My Mine, Growing Apart Too
Mya: Mr. Incredible
Nas: Daughters
Ne-Yo: Lazy Love, Best Thing I never knew I needed, set it off
Trey Songz: Without a woman
Passion: Lemonade, Already in Love
Pretty Willie: My Good Thing
Kevin Michael: It Don't Make Any difference to me
Daniel Merriweather: Getting Out
Goapele: Running, Cupcake, Play, Milk & Honey
JoiStaRR: Dehydrated, How do you feel, My Favorite, Thinking about you (cover), Nothing Even Matters cover with PJ Morton, Zebra Stripes
PJ Morton: Built For Love, Talking Forever, In A Box, No Ordinary Love, My Superstar
Miguel: Adorn, Sure Thing, Be My Vixen, All I want is you, Teach me, Quickie, Let's Just Be,
Solange Knowles: Stillness is the move, I Told You So, Favors, T.O.N.Y.
Van Hunt: Eyes Like Pearls


YOU NEED JESSE BOYKINS IN YOUR LIFE ASAP: Check out I Wish, Come to my room, Amorous, Zoner, Aaliyah's I care for you cover, Be All Truth, The Sea, Mystery of Iniquity

30 Seconds To Mars, Linkin Park, Black Lab Fans?




Provehito


PLEASE, don't bother to tell me how much you think any of my bands suck. Music is art and we are ALL entitled to our own taste in art - what you like to listen to is your business. If your opinions are negative, don't bother to share them. Thanks!

I'm a music junkie (indie & alt rock are my faves) & I'm looking for new musicians or single song suggestions.
My music taste is very eclectic. About the only styles of music I don't like are Rap/Hip Hop (the closest to this that I can tolerate is a band like the 'Redlight Kings'), Country, and hard-core thrasher music. I prefer male singers (not too high-pitched voice, '10 Years' is a little high for me) and the only female singer I really like is 'Florence + the Machine' (I'll listen to Adele and Evenscenes if they're playing). I like musicians that mix it up: blend styles of music (rock, classic, techno, heavy, & even a little rap) and each song is different from the other (some bands - one song after another sounds like the other, the albums are like one long song with pauses every 4 minutes or so!). Also. I CANNOT stand word/lyric repetition (not only is Justin Beiber's voice annoying - how many freakin' times can you say - 'Oh, baby, baby' - or whatever it is he 'sings'?!?)
I am not necessarily looking for bands that sound like these because I don't know that there are bands who's music or voices SOUND like them. I'm just hoping for some new ideas within these styles/genres.

Favorites (I like everything or almost everything by these musicians):
30 SECONDS TO MARS is my favorite band - I love their ability to write some ingenious lyrics and their ability to blend rock, punk, classic, etc. to make a truly unique, eclectic and yet recognizable sound.
LINKIN PARK - LOVE almost all their songs, just a few that I'm not crazy about
BLACK LAB - talk about eclectic (if you haven't heard of them, start with 'Anything', 'Remember', 'This Night' & 'Gates Of The Country')
Collective Soul
Phoenix
Snow Patrol
City Archaic
Civil Twilight
Creed
U2
OneRepublic
Ryan Star
Lifehouse
Red
3 Doors Down

Great (love most but not all their music)
Cold
Eels
Breaking Benjamin
Young The Giant
12 Stones
Remy Zero
Coldplay
Rush (Gavin Rossdale)

Good (love/like a few):
Five Finger Death Punch (love 'Far From Home')
Syntax
My Chemical Romance (love 'Sing')
Moby ('Extreme Ways')
Young The Giant
Cavo
Finger Eleven
A Day To Remember
Rise Against
Muse
Three Days Grace
Breaking Benjamin
Shinedown
The Script
Crossfade
The Fray
Arcade Fire
Decemberists
Blink 182
Kevin Rudolf's ('Let It Rock')
Augustana

OK, but just don't click with me:
Angels & Airways (a litte to whiny for me)
Paramore
Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Avenged Sevenfold

Oldies but goodies:
INXS (original)
Depeche Mode
Peter Gabriel
Jesus Jones
The Who
Rolling Stones

Not crazy about (don't hate them, but really don't want to listen to them, sorry):
Owl City
Everclear
Adelitas Way
Red Hot Chili Peppers

CANNOT stand:
Justin Beiber
Kesha

I know I'm forgetting some!!!
I really appreciate all the positive comments so far. I'm stoked that there are people out their that share my taste in music. 90% of the time I mention the bands that I like to other people, their like "Who?"

To the one who would have married me if I hadn't ranked Avenged Sevenfold 'OK' : It's just one, and I didn't say I didn't like them, just not a top ranked favorite. And if I weren't already married, it might have been a match made in heaven! LOL!

Shout outs to my fellow Echelon (please join our Echelon page at http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150505653769571&set=a.10150505649469571.394459.731964570&type=1#!/pages/Echelon-New-England-30-Seconds-To-Mars-Fans-Unite/200618946624313 )

I knew I was forgetting some:
I CANNOT believe I forgot another fave: RINGSIDE - so AWESOME - ('Tired Of Being Sorry', 'Struggle', 'Dayglo', etc)!
Also like:
The Gaslight Anthem
Neon Trees
The Veils
Vega4
Kings Of Leon (some



Answer
hey echelon sister! :DD your musical taste is a lot like mine, i have tumblr (the-road-so-far), follow me if you'd like (i'd follow back, just leave a message in my askbox!)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Any music suggestions?
Rating: 95% based on 95 ratings. 4.8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks To Visiting My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment