Saturday, June 21, 2014

Should I try Clarinet or Oboe? *Please Help, I Need These Answers Soon*?




Spunky


I decided to start an instrument in band in school. Alto Saxophone was the instrument I wanted, but there were too many people already playing it and not enough instruments itself. Okay. I get that. Now I'm trying to decide which instrument to choose. Percussion is filled as well.
I have the options of a trumpet, a flute, a clarinet or an oboe. Trumpet and flute are out, I'm not interested in those.

Could someone please tell me the most significant difference between the oboe and the clarinet? Also, it would be nice to have a link or two to some solos comparing the two similar instruments. One more thing: What is your personal preference and why?

I'd really appreciate any help you can offer, I'm kinda stuck here. 10 points to best answer, remember. Thanks all for reading and responding!



Answer
Go with the Oboe. For one thing- Clarinetists are a dime a dozen. Very few kids take up double-reed instruments (they're a little tougher to get a good sound on - so some kids are discouraged) but here's the thing -- because very few kids play them, you'll have lots more opportunities like District band, etc. -much easier to get in to stuff if you're the only one auditioning vs 100 other clarinets.

Oboes are a double reed instrument - instead of one reed against the mouthpiece, there are two small reeds lashed together. Oboes, English Horns, and Bassoons are all double-reed instruments. To me they sound much more like the human voice - very expressive - beautiful sounding if well-played. Fingering between a clarinet and Oboe are similar - neither is tougher than the other - the major difference is the "embouchure" - the way you hold your lips/mouth on the reed. It can be anything from a happy sound... to a very sad, almost wailing sound like a bagpipe (which BTW - uses a similar double reed, so it makes sense it would sound similar). In a big ensemble an Oboe can even sound like a French Horn or a piccolo trumpet ( brass instruments) . Very unique,versatile instrument.

Now the bad part - they are harder to play in-tune than a clarinet. You have to develop good "chops" or you'll sound kind of like a baby goat :-) But no worries, a little practice and you'll be all set.

Go to YouTube.com and search on "Oboe Solo" Oboe Repertoire, Oboe tutorial, etc. Mozart loved the Oboe and wrote quite a bit of solo material for it -- here's a good example . The soloist comes in around 1:13 or so.

http://youtu.be/DhygJyCvYeA
.

My parents think I'm immature?




angrybirds


Hey, I'm a freshman in high school, almost a sophomore, and 15 and a half. My parents think I'm immature, and I don't get why. I have good grades, involved in extra curricular activities, and I'm not a bad kid. Here are some things that I do
I am in marching band, play flute, trumpet, piano, marimba, baritone, clarinet, any instrument you hand me I can learn to play
I am in drumline
I am on the lacrosse team
I am on the soccer team
I am in the school musical
I'm taking dance next year
I sing solos for school and outside of school
With everything that I do, I maintain an average in each class of at least 85

As you can see I am very busy. I have a younger sister who is 9 and a half, and she starts fights with me, and I get in trouble. When my sister starts fighting with me, it's always my fault my parents say and i don't know why. They know I respect kids in school, and know I respect teachers and adults, so I do not know why they think I start fights with my sister if they know I respect kids and adults. They dont believe me that it is not my fault and it gets annoying.
During the summer, I go to my grandparents house every day, with my sister. There are 5 little kids(oldest is in 2nd grade, youngest is a 1 year old) on the street. They are always outside. They ask my sister and I to go outside, so we do. Usually I watch the baby and the one that is in kindergarten, while my sister plays with the older one. My parents think that when I am outside there, I play with the kids and not watch them. I watch after them and make sure they don't get hurt, because their parents are not outside all the time. My parents do not believe me. They tell me to stop going outside. My grandma smokes, and I can't sit inside breathing smoke all day, because my lungs are bad, and I can not take smoke, especially with I am in sports, because I cant do as good with breathing smoke all day. So I go outside, and my parents think I'm immature because I go outside. They also think I am immature because they say if I was, the kids parents would ask me to babysit. The parents know I don't live there and know I am involved in a lot of extra activities, and don't have a lot of time to watch kids. I dont know what to do. They dont listen to me. They dont think I am mature because of this. I know kids my age who are immature. Any help is good. Thank



Answer
Read what you wrote here to them and ask the to explain why they think you're not responsible.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Should I try Clarinet or Oboe? *Please Help, I Need These Answers Soon*?
Rating: 95% based on 95 ratings. 4.8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks To Visiting My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment