Sunday, June 22, 2014

How to make a baby Quilt?




Jess


Well, I've never really had any interest in quilting before but now that I'm a mummy I thought it would be quite cool to make a little quilt for my son.

So I thought I'd just make 2 little patchwork blankets of cotton squares, and stitch them together with some padding in the middle - just as a first attempt. I'd love to get into the 'fancy' stuff and techniques at some point in the future, but for now I just want to try something simple like that.

Do you think this stuff would be ok to put in the middle?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4oz-polyester-wadding-1-7-67-metre-roll-quilting_W0QQitemZ170211175880QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3110QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262 ?

I don't want to spend too much money at this point if possible because it's just a fun experiment for me to see how I find it and also I want it to be a 'light' quilt as the weather is getting warmer now.

I'd be really grateful for any opinions or advice on this?
Thank you! :)



Answer
I think 4-oz wadding/batting is a good weight for a baby quilt, but as I read the description, this one isn't specifically for quilting. Wadding for quilting is treated to prevent (or at least reduce) a problem called 'bearding' where the polyester fibers migrate (work their way through) the outside fabric - it's unsightly and eventually you lose all your wadding. I strongly suggest you stick to QUILT wadding. When I first started quilting almost 15 years ago, I didn't (I did all the typical 'beginner false economies'), and the baby quilts I made then have lost all their filling and are very sad. Here in the U.S., I can buy a packaged decent-quality quilt wadding in 36"x45" size for about $10 (sorry, I'm leaving you stuck with the conversion math!), and I think it's worth the money.
If you decide you can't do quilt wadding for some reason, then look for wadding that is either needle-punched, bonded, or has a scrim - these will be more durable. Congratulations and good luck.

i want to know how to make a quilt for a baby?

Q. i need a quilt that will fit a crib and directions on how to. the directions have to be clear. if you have some websites that would be great. thanx


Answer
How to Make a Baby Quilt

1. Cut 64 total 6"x6" squares. Use at least two or more different fabrics.



2. Arrange the 6" squares in rows with every other color. Put eight across and eight down.



3. Pick up the first row of eight and pin it together with a number one on it. Do the same for the other rows.



4. Now you are ready to sew each row. Sew all the squares together in row one and then do row 2, etc. Use a 1/4" seam.



5. After the rows are done, you are ready to sew the rows together.



6. Press seams toward the border. Layer and quilt by hand or machine.



7. You will need strips to use as borders. Cut strips 2 and 1/4" and the length of the quilt on all sides. Put right sides together and sew strips to quilt top. Turn under to wrong side and sew strips down by hand.



Hope you had fun making this easy baby quilt




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How to make a baby Quilt?
Rating: 95% based on 95 ratings. 4.8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks To Visiting My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment