Friday, February 7, 2014

Baby mouse making noise?




Shelbz


I have recently seen a mouse run across my floor, on my main floor of the house. My bedroom is upstairs, and you can hear the nice in the walls. All day today, we have been hearing this sound similar to a kitten meowing. Now, I do have a cat, but she I fixed and fully grown and sitting right next to me so it's not her in any possibility. I looked up online for baby mouse noises and it says they're pretty quiet creatures. I live inthe middle of town, but is it possible it's something other than a mouse?? Could it be an opossum?? It scratches around like a mouse but I know opossums can get in your walls. Although I feel like opossums would smell and there isn't a stench. And they wouldn't come out of the wall, cuz we have a cat and 6 dogs so there would definitely be some smell. Can this mewing noise be a mouse?? Thanks in advance guys!!


Answer
Although mice do have some diurnal and nocturnal activity, mice are crepuscular meaning primarily active during twilight hours: dawn and dusk. If you heard these noises all day, it would seem unlikely it was coming from the mouse.

As far as mice making noises, you are correct as a rule they are not loud critters. Besides the standard squeak mice are known for, they do make occasional sounds. I have had a few talkers through the years in which the cause was either residual damage from an URI or the result of some genetic issue. Also, mice with URIs can make a wide range of sounds from mews like a kitten to chatters to clicks. Recently my Roo made coos like a dove from a respiratory infection. Should the mouse in question at your house have an URI, no worries to you that you will catch anything as it cannot pass to humans. Further, the poor dear is likely to die soon if she has it because of not getting antibiotics.

There is a site with audio clips of sounds animals make that might help. I am giving the link to page I found doing a quick search along with specifically mouse clips. There is a really good site I used once before that I shall try to locate and add. Hopefully you will be able to determine who is causing the noise from the clips:

http://www.junglewalk.com/sound/animal-sounds.htm

http://www.findsounds.com/ISAPI/search.dll?keywords=mouse

Baby rat making noise--Normal or not?




a6385u


I just bought a baby rat and I'm concerned about some noises he makes. He makes some noises when he breaths..like little squeaky noises...but they're only audible when he in sitting on my shoulder near my ear. Also, when he is in his cage, he makes a sound like a sneeze, but it doesn't happen when he is outside the cage. It isn't a constant noise, but does happen more than twice a day. I bought a pack of bedding at Weis that had "Rat" on the list of animals suitable for using the bedding, so I wonder if the bedding is the culprit if it is listed at a rat-compatible bedding. I am currently in a living arrangement in which 2 smokers live with me on the weekends. I had thought that the smoke had something to do with it, but he is still making the noise. Should I move the cage outside on the weekends as long as I keep it in the shade? He is in a glass cage now since he might fit through the wires on a wire cage, as instructed by the pet store. Is this noise normal or should I be concerned?
Also, will having a pet rat attract wild rats into the house? We had problems with rats earlier, and I wonder if we might have them again.
There is no drainage of the eyes or whatever else might drain when a rat is very sick. He is very lively when he is awake. I also want to feed him a good diet, but am having a hard time finding "rat" food. Is there some other rodent food I could use as a substitute, like hamster or guinnea pig food?



Answer
Normal rats do not make noise when they breathe, and usually don't make much noise at all unless they are in pain or play-fighting with another rat. It sounds like your rat has the beginnings of a respiratory infection. Nothing much to worry about at this point, but it can quickly get worse if things do not improve.

I don't know what kind of bedding you are talking about, but pine as well as cedar are not good for rats. Recycled paper products such as Carefresh and Yesterdays News are acceptable, as well as aspen wood.

Your glass cage may also be exacerbating things. The glass walls don't allow proper ventilation and urine odors can quickly build up and add to the irritation in the lungs. If he is only in there because he will fit through the bars of a wire cage, make sure you clean it every 2 days at least. No matter the size of the rat, they won't fit through the bars on a cage with 1/2" bar spacing.

The smoke could definitely be bothering him. Rats have very sensitive respiratory systems and anything like that in the air can set off an infection. Rats have a bacteria called mycoplasma pulmonis which is normally kept in check but when the rat is stressed by illness or other factors this bacteria can overgrow and cause a respiratory infection. At this stage your rat doesn't seem too dire, so a round of antibiotics will probably fix him right up. You'll have to take him to a vet for an exam to receive the proper drug and dosage.

Having him around won't attract wild rats, the only thing that does is having food accessible for them. If your food is up and out of the way and cannot be accessed easily you shouldn't get any wild rats coming in to the house.

There really is no substitute for rat food, I'm afraid. You'll want a good quality lab block where the first ingredient isn't corn and the protein content isn't too high. If you are in the United States, you can order several different good quality brands over the internet such as Harlan Teklad, Oxbow Regal Rat, and Mazuri (I don't have the links right now but if you do a google search you should be able to find them). I can't afford the shipping on Harlan myself but I buy a 25lb bag of Mazuri for $30 including shipping and it lasts me forever.

I hope that helps you, good luck with your rat!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Baby mouse making noise?
Rating: 95% based on 95 ratings. 4.8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks To Visiting My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment