Saturday, December 28, 2013

What (non pureed) foods do you give your baby?

baby making chewing motion on This caught my eye and could be incorporated into wearable pieces due ...
baby making chewing motion image



eml


My son is 6.5 months and clearly wants our food. He makes chewing motions and reaches for whatever you're eating. I would like to start giving him some non - pureed foods, but don't really know where to start. I've given him banana, but he just spits it back out. He doesn't like fruits of any kind. I know that you're supposed to start offering the standards - cooked sweet potato, carrot, banana, avocado, well done pasta etc. but I was wondering what some of you all have done.


Answer
I began by giving our son our food, but of course chopped very finely. I'd make extra so that I could portion them and freeze them for extra. I would chop up chicken, beef, pork very tiny and mix it with a vegatable for his dinners (squash, zucchini, carrots, broccoli, asparagus, beets, corn, baked potato, sweet potato) In order to help it not be too dry or "solid", I'd mix about 2 tbs of rice or oatmeal baby cereal with a bit of water and then add the meat and veggie to this. It was all mixed together, but HE LOVED IT! Then, he began to progress quickly to larger pieces of foods.

I would mash up a banana and give it to him for breakfast. Then I began not mashing it up as much... and eventually he associated the banana taste and would grab for anything banana!!! Also, I would mix some apple flavored baby cereal (oatmeal) with applesauce... he loved that too!

My son didn't really like cantalope or watermelon at first, but after a couple of days, he got the hang of it. I think they're more turned off by the texture than the actual taste.

Good luck! It's so much easier once you're off the jars. Next time around I'll do it sooner! (of course, more pureed...but with our leftovers)

When do you give your baby meat for the first time?




Lovely Lad


My baby is 8 months. She just got her first tooth. She does the chewing motion and she can pick stuff up with her fingers (finger and thumb) I've just been giving her either bought baby food veggies and fruits or blending them myself. Is she ready for the next step? She just started crawling. What foods do I give her? I've given her mashed potatoes but that is it off of our plates. I heard blended up checken breast is what you start with but at what age or stage?


Answer
you can give her just about any table food -vegetable or meat - you like now.
Chicken is the easiest to add to a mashed meal but beef/pork/lamb minced meat is great too when she is just starting.
Casseroles that are slow cooked with diced beef or lamb and lots of vegies will just crumble so if you cut the pieces nice and small, when you mash all the meat and vegetables together the meat will just be blended into it.
She shouldn't need any purees anymore, mashed is fine with small chunks that smoosh up easily when she puts it in her mouth.

Try making a sheppards pie with minced beef and gravy mix, mixed steamed vegetables added into the meat and mashed potato on top....eat that for dinner with hubby and then mash up and freeze the leftover portions for her!

I always mixed lots of different things together to make tasty interesting meals for my kids. They get bits of everything that way, even zuchinni, cabbage, brocolli, brussels sprouts, squash....you name it my 12mth old son eats it!
I find that mashed potato, pumpkin or sweet potato mixed into any meals makes the mashing easier

Oh, and a great finger food to keep her occupied and develop her fine motor skills is frozen peas! My kids LOVE them and my 12 mth old will sit in his highchair for half an hour picking peas off his tray and eating them, he especially likes it when he is cutting a tooth as they are lovely and cold! And its healthy!

have fun




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What (non pureed) foods do you give your baby?
Rating: 95% based on 95 ratings. 4.8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks To Visiting My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment