Saturday, February 1, 2014

What food can my 12 month old baby eat?




ca$h


I'm sure she can eat finger food but what kind. She has 8 teeth.


Answer
By the time my two-year-old was a year, he was basically eating everything I ate, but in smaller pieces. I like the peas and carrots mix for that age because the size of the vegetables are good for finger feeding and chewing. I also cut up veggie dogs slices, then in halves then I cut the halves again. Whole wheat pasta, cooked soft, is good, too. (We use the short noodles, penne, rigatoni, macaroni. I like them better than the longer noodles, too, as they are easier to eat. I do not like getting pasta in restaurants as it's usually spaghetti or linguini and not easy to eat.) Whole wheat bread, canned fruit (it's softer than fresh)... Cheerios, fruit and grain bars (we buy the Trader Joe's bars as they are cheaper than other brands and all-natural and organic). We also buy wheat saltines (they are a white flour, whole wheat flour mix) and even oyster crackers for him. He doesn't get those daily, but as treats for when I want him to be quiet and still (more or less) like in the car or at church.

We never bought things like Gerber Graduates because they are just a marketing scam. The products are expensive and filled with unnatural ingredients like white flour, artificial colors, etc.

We spent the first two years of our kids' lives exposing them to whole, real foods. My five-year-old was a few months past her second birthday before she got meat and cheese. (My husband is neither vegetarian nor vegan. He mostly buys his meat and cheese from the local meat market. The family raises their pigs and cows organically and as humanely as possible.) Even now, she doesn't get it daily. (She gets one scrambled egg when she spends the night at my in-laws' as a treat.) My son has gotten it only because he grabbed it off of tables when we've been to dinners, or church coffee hours.... They don't even get juice often. When I do give it to my daughter, I cut it with water. When my husband makes frozen juice, he puts in more water than the recommendation. (We did start our two-year-old with things like white bread, cookies, candy, even juice a bit sooner than our daughter because he would see his sister eat them and it didn't seem fair to deny him. Being the youngest myself, I might be a bit biased. We've not, however, intentionally started him on meat, cheese and eggs.

I've not had problems with pickiness, or refusal of eating real foods, etc. Both kids know that things like cake, candy, etc. are treats and not daily food. I'm not a short order cook and if the kids don't want something after it's been served (and even after they chose it), they don't eat. I've seen many questions on here and in magazines, etc. from parents complaining that their child will not eat certain foods and throws a fit. However, once Mommy and Daddy lose their spines and gives the kid what he wants (generally, it seems to be junk "food"), the kid happily eats. That's when I wonder who the parent is.

What to do about baby's food at 12 months?




Your Highn


So i've heard at 12 months, babies can stop having formula/breastmilk and be switched solely to food.

My daughter is nearly 11 months, and it just doesn't seem like she could subsist off only food in 4 weeks!

Like, she eats, and she'll eat almost everything I give her, but she doesn't eat a lot at all. So how does this work? Do I just give her as much as she'll eat, and offer her milk (we'll be using almond milk instead of cow milk) and water whenever in a sippy cup or something? Will she eat more once she stops getting breastmilk in a bottle? Do I need to do it gradually? For example, start out removing 1 bottle a day and replacing with something else?



Answer
If you're breastfeeding nothing changes at all. If you're formula-feeding stop the formula and use almond milk instead, and make sure she gets enough avocados, green leafy vegetables, flax seed oil, ground nuts etc for the fats as well as her other food.

You don't have to stop giving her breastmilk. Best not to take her off it until she's 3. Definitely don't replace human breastmilk with almond milk. I mean sure, being 12 months gives permission to replace formula with something better and baby can finally get enough nutrition from solids, and it won't devastate baby's intestinal tract, but definitely don't replace breastmilk. Slowly she'll want less of it, but let her take the lead. No need to even introduce almond milk - even for on cereal breastmilk is the superior choice. Leave that for when she's older and wants milk and you're not breastfeeding anymore.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What food can my 12 month old baby eat?
Rating: 95% based on 95 ratings. 4.8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks To Visiting My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment